Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Katiedid get induced.

To start things off, I have the most amazing OB ever. 
I am sure I have mentioned her before, but because she is so incredibly wonderful I will talk all about her again. 
We first met when I did my OB-GYN clinical rotation together last Spring. 
As a Nurse Practitioner student it is nearly impossible to find a physician that will let you be their constant shadow for 6+ weeks. 
She embraces student after student each semester and gladly shares her wealth of knowledge with every single one. 
She is extremely thorough in her medical practice and truly treasures each of her patients.  
{Her patients absolutely adore her too!}

Here we are on my last day in clinic. 

As soon as I found out I was pregnant I knew there was only one doctor I could entrust this new precious little life with. 
After one of my first appointments it was discovered that I had an extremely low progesterone level. 
{Progesterone is a hormone that helps to maintain a pregnancy. Low levels can lead to a miscarriage.}
So, I was immediately started on daily progesterone suppositories until I was 15 weeks. 
Not many physicians treat low progesterone levels, especially if you have never had a miscarriage before. 
Initially, I was petrified skeptical about the different possible outcomes...
However, she continuously reassured me throughout my entire pregnancy that my baby was absolutely perfect. 
I truly believe she saved Miss Mini-Martin!
God graciously brought us together and I will never be able to thank her enough. 

Now, on to the induction part...
At my 40 week appointment Mini-Martin was estimated to be 7lbs 11oz and there was absolutely NO "progress" from the last 2 weeks. 
Again, I stated I had yet to experience one single itty-bitty contraction. 
After being placed on the monitor one more time, and it was evident no contractions were "quietly" taking place. 

From the beginning, I told my OB that I wanted to do things as natural as possible. 
{No induction.}
She typically does not like patients going past 40 weeks and frequently schedules inductions to avoid complications during delivery and to ensure that she will be the doctor during the delivery. 
Because I was now 40 weeks, I was asked the BIG question...
What do you want to do now?!
My answer:
What is best for both Mini-Martin and I. 
That day I was feeling enormous, impatient, and totally "done" with being pregnant. 
The idea of being induced was honestly sounding pretty appealing.
Thankfully, my doctor immediately replied, "Then come back tonight to be induced."
Typically, she only schedules inductions on Monday and Tuesday, 
{for hospitalization/discharge reasons} 
but "for me she would do it on a Thursday."
Pretty awesome, right?!

I vividly remember looking at MM and happily saying, "It's baby time, baby!"
We left the appointment and called our close family members to share the news.
I wanted the hospital stay/BIRTHday to be all about us and family. 
No Facebook, twitter, or texts until we met our little one. 

MM went home to start getting things ready...
I, like a crazy Momma-to-be, went to get a new comfy outfit "because I had nothing to wear to the hospital" and have a fresh manicure and pedicure. 
{My control freak self really loved being able to thoroughly prep for the special day!}
Here I am in the Old Navy dressing room!
When I got home I was greeted with these beauties from MM. 
Insert a downfall of tons of tears and a mini-Momma breakdown.
{Get used to the puffy face and squinty eye pictures because I am a just teensy-bit tenderhearted and cry over the tiniest things. Ha!}

We picked up the house, packed up our hospital necessities, got freshly showered, and ordered a pizza in true pregnant girl fashion!
Here I am at exactly 40 weeks and on our way out the door!
Thumbs up!
And sans make-up because I was just going to "sleep" that night and have a baby the next afternoon
Not exactly...

Which one will it be??
Glamma handmade the little gownies pictured above.
{Told you she is the BEST ever!} 
Mini-Martin's goodies packed up and ready to go!
Bye, bye nursery.
We will bring you back a baby!
Arriving at the hospital at 9 p.m. 
Glamma and Auntie Holly met us there to help get us settled in. 
I've never been a "light packer."
Nervous habits. 
We are having a BABY!
Momma's bed. Baby's bed. 
Night, night.
Sleep tight. 
{Really... Let the FUN begin!}
Last night Mini-Martin lovin'. 
Glamma and Auntie Holly then left to spend the night at Holly's house close by.
Good thing, because Miss Mini-Martin had a plan all of her own...
Our plans, Miss Mini-Martin's plans, and the BIRTHday details are coming up next!

5 comments:

Molly Dorsey said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Molly Dorsey said...

My mom was with Gina that night, and she let me in on the secret! So glad I didn't tweet you now that I know it was in fact a secret!

Coastal Southern said...

I'm a new blog reader and love reading along. I'm currently pregnant and due to give birth in a little over a month, so I'm enjoying all of the details leading up to the big day. Congratulations on miss Mini-Martin's arrival!

Unknown said...

i was induced 5 days post due date and I LOVED being able to "prep" for it...as much as it SUCKED to be late. You looked beautiful even in hospital gear ;)

Tiff said...

Katie, first CONGRATS!! You have a precious and beautiful little girl! Second, I really like the floor lamp in your nursery; where did you find it?